Saturday, May 5, 2012

Moon Over New York City

May 4, 2012 Supermoon over the Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge

Last night I went scoping out locations to shot tonight's supermoon. As recommended below, it is best to use a tripod and a telephoto lens. I did not use either. 

This exposure was 2 seconds at f4, ISO 200. I braced the camera on a guard rail and used the time release to trigger the exposure. Of course, this blows out the moon, so I merged the moon details in Photoshop. The correct exposure for the moon that I used for the detail was f5.6 at 1/125 of a second at ISO 200.

This was shot with a Nikon D50 with an 18-55mm zoom - a stronger zoom would have made the moon look larger. The moon was also a little too high in the sky - the closer to the horizon, the larger it looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment